Child Custody Lawyers in Manassas
Providing Effective Representation & Personalized Guidance
If you are going through a divorce in Virginia and you have a child with your spouse, you should retain experienced legal representation as soon as possible. There is much at stake in a divorce, and you need to ensure your rights are fully protected. When determining child custody matters, the court will look at what is in the child’s best interests.
The court will take into account myriad factors when determining the child’s best interests, such as:
- Any special needs the child has
- The gender and age of the child
- Cultural and/or religious considerations
- Adjustments to the school and community
- The physical and mental health of both parents
- The wishes of the child (if they are deemed old enough)
- Whether either parent has a history of domestic violence or drug and alcohol abuse
At Foster McCollam, our child custody lawyers in Manassas can proficiently navigate you through each stage of the process and help you make sound decisions about your future. To do so, our legal team can inform you of all the potential short- and long-term effects of your choices. We understand how important these matters are to our clients, which is why we right relentlessly on their behalf. You can depend on us to provide you with the passionate advocacy you deserve.
Call Foster McCollam today at (703) 420-7011 or contact us online to schedule a consultation with our child custody lawyers in Manassas.
Types of Child Custody in Virginia
The state of Virginia allows these types of custody:
- Sole custody. This is when only one parent has the authority to make day-to-day decisions for the child, in addition to physical custody. The non-custodial parent in this situation can seek visitation.
- Joint physical custody. This is when both parents share physical custody and care of their child. Parents in this situation will typically alternate by weeks, months, etc.
- Joint legal custody. This is when both parents are able to have a say in the child’s upbringing, including their religion, education, healthcare, etc.
As your representative, our Manassas child custody lawyers will work hard to help you achieve your goals. From assisting you with completing and filing legal paperwork to ensuring your best interests are strongly represented both in and out of the courtroom, we can do it all.
Call (703) 420-7011 to speak with a knowledgeable child custody lawyer in Manassas.